NDHSAA Board Meeting
October 18, 2006
1. Approved the agenda.
2. Approved the minutes from the September 26, 2006 , October 4, 2006 and October 9, 2006 meetings.
3. Approved the financial report.
4. Approved the following cooperative sponsorship program dissolutions:
- Sweet Briar School and Mandan in girls' track & field and volleyball (2006-2007)
- Tappen and Medina for boys' and girls' cross country. (2006-07)
5. Approved the following cooperative sponsorship program applications:
- Grafton, Park River , Minto, Drayton, Cavalier and Langdon for boys' hockey, 9-12 (no late fee)
- Standing Rock and Selfridge for boys' and girls' basketball for 2006-2007 (late fee for two)
- Dickinson and Dickinson Trinity in girls' hockey for 2006-2007 (no late fee)
6. Discussed a concern that has been voiced by member schools about internet blogging and the placement of pictures anonymously of students consuming alcohol.
7. Held audience with a delegation from Jamestown concerning the assignment of their football program for 2007.
8. Clarified how the Team Scholar Program shall be handled for fine arts.
9. Reported on the progress of the Football Committee and approved the four-division plan to be presented to the membership which will consist of 16 teams in AAA and AA, 24 teams in the A division with four regions of six teams and the remainder in the 9-man division.
10. Approved the recommendation to have the athletic administrators of the AAA schools meet to study a plan for region assignments and play-off plan.
11. Held audience with Billie Ann Caya, Executive Director of the North Dakota Cheer Coaches Association.
a. Approved along with the current requirement of North Dakota cheer coaches of safety certification to be allowed to stunt according to the National Federation Spirit Rules, that one additional course be required every 5 years.
b. Denied the request to eliminate the spirit award for all state tournaments, and then made the decision to eliminate the spirit award for state wrestling.
12. Held audience with Dennis Fogelson, administrator of the North Dakota School for the Deaf concerning their basketball program.
13. Heard a report of the Fine Arts Committee concerning the development of defined seasons for fine arts. The Committee will continue study with a meeting in December.
14. Heard a report of the Finance Committee with the following:
- Talked about a concern that will be brought about with upcoming retirements of the current staff. No conclusions were made and discussions will continue.
- Study the possibility of adding a technology position on the staff.
15. Approved sending six students to the National Federation Leadership Conference in July, 2007. The National Federation is covering the cost for these students.
16. Heard a report of the Constitution & By-Laws Committee with the following:
- Discussed the presentation of the amendments at the General Assembly
- Approved wording to further clarify Part Two, INTERPRETATION:-Section X: "Seventh and eighth grade students attending a parochial school in a city in which there is no parochial high school or existing coop with another member school in said activity(s) are eligible to compete with the parochial high school which they will be attending."
- Continued discussion of the All-Star Rule. The Committee will meet with NDHSAA attorney, Thune prior to November meeting.
17. Held audience with Shiloh Christian School to respond to the ruling and penalty for not fulfilling football contracts. Lifted the penalty of the stipulation that Shiloh must play all away games for the fall of 2007.
18. Discussed the problems with the company with whom the association has contracted for individual plaques. Approved sending a letter to that company indicating the association will not continue with the contract.
19. Approved the athletic administrators' recommendation to no longer have east and west regions in girls' hockey, but qualify the top eight teams statewide to the state tournament.
20. Moved Central Prairie from Dist. 6 to Dist. 5 and Tappen from Dist. 5 to Dist. 6 for volleyball.
21. Heard a report of the Promotions and Programs Committee with the following:
- The Centennial logo contest was updated with requests going out in mailings and in the Bulletin with a deadline of Dec. 31, 2006 .
- Approved budget for the purpose of the centennial celebration and to seek sponsorships to share in the cost.
22. Heard a report on the National Federation Coaches Education indicating North Dakota will have access to this program on line.