NFHS Medical Advisory
NFHS SMAC Heat Acclimatization and Heat Illness Prevention Position Statement - CLICK HERE
NFHS Hydration Statement - Click HERE
NFHS Energy Drink Position Statement Click - HERE
Reprinted with permission from Kulka TJ Kenney WI. Heat balance
limits in football uniforms: how different uniforms ensembles alter the
equation. Phys Sportsmed 2002:30(7):29-39.
· Green Line: Regular practices with full practice gear can be conducted for conditions that plot to the left of the green line.
· Red Line: Cancel all practices when the temperature and relative humidity plot to the right of the red line. Practices may be moved into air-conditioned spaces.
· Between Red and Yellow Lines: Increase rest to work ratio with breaks every 20 minutes and all protective equipment should be removed to practice in shorts only when the temperature and relative humidity plot between the red and yellow lines.
· Between Yellow and Green Lines: Increase rest to work ratio with breaks every 30 minutes and wear shorts with helmets and shoulder pads only when the temperature and relative humidity plot between the yellow and green lines.
· Heat risk rises with increasing heat and relative humidity. Fluid breaks should be scheduled for all practices and increased as the heat stress rises.
· Add 5 degrees to temperature between 10 AM and 4 PM from mid May to mid September on bright, sunny days.
· Practices should be modified to reflect the conditions for the safety of the athletes.